CITIES OF GALICIA
Now that you have read the general predeparture information that applies to the entire region of Galicia, click on your individual tabs for the city that you will be living in. We have compiled information based on past Fulbrighters' experiences and recommendations to help you get started with your Fulbright experience in Galicia.
Feel free to explore the other Galician cities to see where you would like to travel to in the region. Here is some more information that could be helpful when planning a trip:
Travel Between and within cities
Note: Information provided was collected from the websites of local governments, transportation companies, and Google Maps. Grantees will need to verify information upon arrival. Note that summer and off-season transportation schedules may differ. Check season start/end dates. (Last updated 06/16/2017)
- Transportation information from the official Galician tourism page. Use the search bar to find details on a specific city. http://www.turismo.gal/localizador-de-recursos/-/sit/transporte/galicia?langId=es_ES
- Official information on the tarxeta metropolitana* *For participating Galician cities; available at ABANCA locations. Note, you do NOT need to open an ABANCA bank account in order to get this card. http://tmg.xunta.gal/
- Moovit. Check if your city transportation system uses this app.
- Grantees may find that carpooling with colleagues is the most efficient way to work. Ask your bilingual coordinator, administrative team or department about this option. Teachers in Galicia often commute together to save money on the highway tolls.
- Google Flights Explore. Choose a starting airport and see a price map for destinations around the world during the dates you select.
Official information on: city buses, coach buses, trains, taxis, ferries, nearest airports: http://www.ferrol.gal/Shared/Contidos/32
Official information on: city buses, fares, trains:
The ATSA bus company services the route between Nigrán and Vigo (as wells as other smaller towns). Nigrán is along the Baiona-Vigo route and Gondomar-Vigo route.
Official information on: city buses, coach buses, trains, taxis, parking, vehicle rental: http://www.ourense.es/portalOurense/fdes_d4_v1.jsp?codMenu=52&codMenuPrimerNivel=123&language=es
Official information on: buses, bicycles, taxis, car travel, nearest airports:
El transporte metropolitana in the Vigo area: http://tmg.xunta.gal/area-de-vigo
- City bus information: http://hoxe.vigo.org/movemonos/trafico_autobus.php?lang=cas#/
- Bus companies at the bus station: https://www.vigobus.com/
- Taxi information: http://hoxe.vigo.org/movemonos/trafico_taxis.php?lang=cas#/
- Information on arrival and boats to local islands: http://hoxe.vigo.org/conecenos/comochegar.php?lang=cas#/